Camping in Upper Lockyer
A short one and a half hour drive from Brisbane, at the foot of the Toowoomba range, sits one of the most incredible camping grounds for Brisbane Families. Murphy’s Creek Escape is a picturesque camping ground set on a stunning 50 acre park that backs onto the White Mountain National Park. It is 10 minutes off the highway but a million miles from nowhere offering magnificent scenery and limitless exploration.
The camping ground is a natural oasis among tall gums and iron barks, filled with bird song and the sounds of nature. The camp has immaculate facilities and supports a wide range of activities that are sure to keep the whole family happy.
Murphy’s Creek Escape also welcomes your family dog, with ample space for exercising and play. There is something here for just about everyone.
Almost every camping style is catered for here, ranging from powered and unpowered sites to luxury tents. Camp atop of a canyon or go bush with remote 4WD access-only sites; camp overlooking the meandering creek and rock pools amongst the gum trees or enjoy life’s comforts in the luxury tents that come complete with king-size beds and all the amenities from home but set in the great outdoors.
Want to experience camping without the outlay for all that gear? Murphy’s Creek Escape Trailer and Tent hire has you covered. Go basic with a small tent, or go ‘all-out’ with a fully self-contained, top of the line camper trailer where you need only bring your clothes and food.
Furthermore, the camp caters for many different types of families and campers. Have a horse lover in your midst? Bring your steed along for some fun and enjoy a ride through Murphy’s Creek Escape and beyond to White Mountain National Park. There are horse yards to keep your friend safe. Is bird watching a hobby?
With the stunning White Mountain National Park on your door step you can enjoy full day hikes to spot rare and beautiful native birds. Are you a family of adventurers? There are several guided adventure activities, including abseiling tours, sandstone cliff highline rope walks, adventure climbing, eco walks, hiking and orienteering.
With babbling creeks, tumbling rapids to rugged ridgelines and a vast array of natural flora and fauna, there is plenty to keep the whole family busy all day. Alternatively, if you simply want a quiet retreat away from the hustle and bustle, to feel totally at peace in the great outdoors, then this is the ideal spot to do it.
Facilities at Murphy’s Creek Escape
- Powered Sites—Situated amongst the trees. These sites have power and water.
- Unpowered Canyon Top Sites—Camp atop of a canyon! These sites are new premium non-powered sites that are generous in size. Overlooking the new Murphy’s Creek Gorge, you will feel like you are on top of the world! These sites are not serviced by power or water.
- Unpowered Bushland Sites—Camp amongst the trees. These sites are generous in size and are not serviced by power or water.
- Remote Camping Sites—These sites are accessible by 4WD only and are off the beaten track. This is a remote location, overlooking the valley west of Murphy’s Creek Escape. These sites do not have power or water.
- Luxury Tents—These tents include a king bed, ensuite, kitchenette, stunning furnishings, beautiful linen, BBQ, private veranda and a large sun bed. This is camping in style. This accommodation style is for adults only.
- Camp Kitchen—Complete with electric BBQ, fridge, microwave, sinks, power, seating for 48 people and a large bonfire ring.
- Individual campfires—Unique fire drum stands can be moved anywhere on your site and are large enough to hold the biggest of camp ovens. Fees apply.
- Washing machines and dryers—fees apply. Clothes lines are located at each block.
- Amenities blocs with hot showers—These are spotless and modern. Running on tank water, small fee applies.
- Horse Yards—2 watered horse yards with tack room and shed coming soon. Cost is $5 per horse per night.
Activities to enjoy at Murphy’s Creek Escape
- Swimming in the eco pool with daily passes available for purchase
- Explore the creek bed
- Medium ropes course
- Giant swing
- Technical mountain bike track (holiday program)
- School holidays and long weekend programs
Murphy’s Creek does have a creek that flows around 3 times a year but only flows for a small period of time. Waterholes sometime remain but these do dry up fairly quickly.
Murphys Creek Escape also offer a school camps program both for primary and secondary students. Just get in touch with them to find out what is on offer.
Murphy’s Creek Escape is located at 356 Thomas Road in Upper Lockyer.
Murphy’s Creek Escape is one and a half hours drive from Brisbane and 30 minutes drive from Toowoomba, based at the foot of the Toowoomba range. Follow the Cobb & Co tourist signs to Murphy’s Creek Road and turn at the Blue Tourist Drive signs leading to Thomas Road.
Phone: (07) 4630 5353
Visit the Murphy’s Creek Escape website at http://www.murphyscreekescape.com.au/