A world exclusive exhibition, Pop Masters: Art from the Mugrabi Collection New York has recently opened at the Gold Coast’s Home Of The Arts (HOTA), and it’s one not to be missed!
Featuring awe-inspiring artworks by legendary pop art creators including Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Damien Hirst, Katherine Bernhardt and many more, this exhibition presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get up close to famous artworks never before seen in Australia.
Whilst some pieces in this exhibition do feature adult themes and nudity, we highly recommend a visit with your Brisbane tweens and teens to experience in person an art movement that changed the world. The sheer size of some of these pieces needs to be seen to be believed!
Famous Pop Art Works Never Before Seen In Australia
Pop Masters brings 50 famous artworks from the Mugrabi Collection to Australia for the very first time. Jose Mugrabi is known as the biggest collector of Andy Warhol artworks in the world, setting the record with over 800 Warhol’s in his family collection.
Featuring pieces such as Dolly Parton (Andy Warhol), Reese’s Pieces Big Cup (Tom Sachs), New York, New York (Jean-Michel Basquiat) and the 2-tonne painted brass What Party (KAWS), this multi-million dollar touring collection showcases some awesome and hugely famous examples of pop art by some of the movement’s most revered artists throughout the past 60 years.
If you’re anything like us, just being close to these famous artworks in person is enough to give you goosebumps. We’re extremely lucky here in South-East Queensland to have access to world-class galleries that regularly feature incredible travelling exhibitions such as this, and we intend to make the most of it!
About Pop Masters: Art from the Mugrabi Collection New York
WHEN: 18th February – 4th June 2023
WHERE: HOTA (Home Of The Arts), 135 Bundall Road, Surfers Paradise
TICKETS (TIMED ENTRY): Adults $25 | Concessions $22 | Youth (4-16 years) $10 | HOTA Member $19 | Any Day, Any Time Tickets $35. Families (2 adults & 2 children) and groups of 10 or more qualify for a discount.
ACCESSIBILITY: AUSLAN Interpreted Tours are on offer (no additional charge) at 10am on Saturday 4th March, Saturday 1st April, Saturday 6th May and Saturday 3rd June 2023. There is lift access to all levels of the gallery, with concrete paths throughout the HOTA grounds.
Visiting Pop Masters: Art from the Mugrabi Collection New York
The Pop Masters exhibition is now open at HOTA Gold Coast. An easy one hour drive from the Brisbane CBD, it’s the perfect day trip to soak up some culture in a stunning setting. Here’s a suggested itinerary to help you plan your visit:
- Arrive at HOTA and park your car in the carpark on the grounds (make sure you register your vehicle at one of the automated pay stations when you arrive – the first 4 hours of parking are free). Aim to arrive around 30 minutes prior to your timed entry.
- Order a coffee and a snack from the HOTA Cafe and sit down to enjoy it before your admission time.
- Wander over to the stunning HOTA Gallery building a few minutes before your entry time and head to level G for the Pop Masters exhibition.
- Walk down the hallway, past the Children’s Gallery, and into the Pop Masters exhibition in Gallery 1. Staff members will be present to scan your entry ticket.
- Stroll the gallery at leisure and get goosebumps from being so close to incredibly famous pop art works.
- When you’ve soaked up all you can at the exhibition, have a sneak peek behind the scenes through the window at the end of the hallway (turning right when you leave Gallery 1) and view all the huge artworks in storage.
- Head back up the hallway, stopping on your right at the Children’s Gallery. This space invites children to get creative and be inspired by what they’ve seen on their visit.
- If you have time (and the kids still have some patience), take a look at the galleries on levels 2, 3 and 4 of the HOTA Gallery building. If the kids are needing a change, head up to the level 5 viewing platform and take in the surrounding landscaped gardens and buildings, even looking over to the high-rises of Surfers Paradise.
- Take the stairs back down to level G and check out the HOTA Shop.
- Exit the building through the revolving doors on level G and take a wander through the Sculpture Walk, across the lawns to the Outdoor Stage and along the Adventure Trail that takes you high behind the stage with an outlook taking in Surfers Paradise and more.
- After leaving the Adventure Trail, head to the HOTA lake for a picnic and a swim (there are full bathroom and change facilities located adjacent).
- Head home exhausted after a culture-filled day of fun on the Gold Coast.
Local’s tip when visiting Pop Masters at HOTA
Check out the HOTA website before you plan your visit to see what other events may be running on the day. HOTA is located on expansive grounds that include performance spaces and more, so you may be lucky enough to catch some live music or other performances on the same day!
To find out more about Pop Masters: Art from the Mugrabi Collection New York at HOTA Gold Coast, please visit the HOTA website.