At what age do you get your Hogwarts letter?
Hogwarts supposedly has an automatic magical record of all children born with magical abilities, essentially a list of all those who are eligible to study at the school. The magical record is created by a special quill that is enchanted to write down the name of every magical child that exists from the moment they are born. Hogwarts record keeping process makes it easy for the school to send out letters at the correct time.
Furthermore, it is said that Professor McGonagall checks this list once a year herself to ensure the letters are sent before the children’s approaching eleventh birthdays. Granted, this might be the official way to get that letter, but it’s not the only way.
Where can I get a Hogwarts acceptance letter?
The Hogwarts letter is written on a piece of parchment in green ink and is accompanied by a list of required materials and textbooks for the upcoming school year. The envelope is sealed with wax, stamped with the school crest and sent on its way via owl. The owls always know the way, of course.
Making one yourself is an option, but if you’re in the mood to order one and call it a day, we have a few options for you:
- The Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9 ¾: This personalised letter comes with a personalised envelope, supplies list, adhesive wax seal and a presentation wallet featuring the Hogwarts school crest. This letter is one of the most accurately designed ones out there. If the real deal is what you’re looking for, this one hits the nail on the head.
- eBay: Professionally printed on 100% parchment, this personalized letter includes the envelope, list of requirements, a ministry of magic note regarding owl post, plus a Hogwarts Express train ticket!
- WritingWithMagic on Etsy: For a truly magical experience that only a handmade touch can bring, choose this one.
What does Harry Potter’s acceptance letter say?
Harry Potter received his first acceptance letter during the summer holidays of 1991. He was understandably shocked, as he had never received mail in his life, and desperately tried to hold on to it. Vernon Dudley seized it however and burned it, after which the family was chased to the hut-on-the-rock by a relentless barrage of letters. Finally, Rubeus Hagrid, the gamekeeper at Hogwarts, visited to present him with his letter of acceptance and a cake, marking his 11th birthday.
Harry Potter’s letter was addressed to him, as shown below, in a precise manner:
Mr H. Potter,
The Cupboard under the Stairs,
4, Privet Drive,
The contents were as follows:
Dear <insert name>
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
It also contained an extensive list of books and items he would need to acquire before joining, including a wand and robes.
Free Hogwarts Acceptance Letter Options
Here is a mini guide to making your own Hogwarts acceptance letter along with a couple of templates to make it easier:
Get all your supplies ready: This depends on how you choose to make your letter. Here is a general list of items, regardless of how elaborate you wish to make it:
- Colour printer OR fountain pen with green ink
- Two white pieces of paper
- Steeped and cooled tea
- Two trays (that can fit your paper easily without folding)
- Red crayon
- Wax seal stamp or you can melt the end of a crayon onto wax paper and use a button to imprint and seal your envelope (we recommend adult supervision for this one)
Tea dye your paper and envelope: If you want to make your letter and envelope look aged and authentic, tea dyeing is an easy way to achieve that. Just fill one of your trays with cold tea and the other with a paper towel. Let your paper soak in the tea for 2 minutes, then dry it in the second paper towel-lined tray. Let them dry until they are crispy.
Write/print: You can choose to either hand write or type your letter. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you know what you want to write first:
- The address on the envelope
- The acceptance letter itself (look above)
- The list of requirements (look above)
Fold and seal: First, put your letter in your envelope. Drop some red wax onto the flap by melting your crayon and seal it using your wax seal stamp.
Fonts for Harry Potter Letter
Chiller is an excellent font available in Microsoft Word. It looks akin to a font you would find in a Harry Potter letter and is perfect for a nod to witchcraft and wizardry. Chiller font is also legible, separating it from other cursive-type fonts that would otherwise be appropriate.
Make Hogwarts acceptance letter extra special by leaving a couple of white feathers next to the letter. You can pick these up for a couple of dollars from a craft store or a neighbour who has white chickens or ducks.