Looking for a great place to ride a bike, fly a kite, speed around on skates, skateboard, play handball or hopscotch, race remote control cars or scooter? Then we have a spot for you and your Brisbane Kids!
An active space for families
Springwood Water Tower is a water reservoir that has a massive concrete space for active families. The surrounding walls have been creatively painted by both artists and school children. This eclectic mix of artwork paints an exciting backdrop to this public facility.
Learn to ride on flat ground
The water tower is a multipurpose area where children can ride on a path painted to look like roads. There are roundabouts, give ways, stops, pedestrian crossings and T intersections.
It is a fantastic area to learn to ride a bike or simply enjoy riding around and around. Children can imagine they are real road users, practising the road rules and navigating the streets. Or they race from one end to the next.
This area is approximately the size of 2.5 football fields. There is enough space for every type of wheeled contraption.
Being a large open flat surface, the Springwood Water Tower is also perfect for kite flying on windy days. It’s also great for roller skating. In fact, a local roller blade group uses the space for practice every Wednesday evening. After rain the tower has some puddles but this just adds to the fun. Children spend hours riding through the large glass flat puddles.
Although petrol or fuel operated vehicles (including remote-controlled) are not allowed, battery controlled vehicles are. This flat concrete tower provides the perfect space to race remote control cars or ride battery-operated ride-on toys.
There is no shade at Springwood Water Tower and it can get quite hot, so cover up and wear sunscreen. The surface is concrete and falls can be pretty hard, so protective gear is advised. In case of an accident, make sure you have a first aid kit handy in your car when visiting.
- There is little car parking space in front of the tower, however, 100 meters up the road is a car park at the Scout Hall. Park here and walk down to the tower.
- Take plenty of water – all the racing around will have the kids thirsty and probably hungry, so snacks are also a good idea.
- Take a camping chair to sit and enjoy watching older Brisbane Kids hone their riding skills.
- Springwood Conservation Park is right beside this tower. Brisbane families may enjoy a ride at the tower and then a bushwalk. The round trip takes approximately an hour.
- There are no toilets
The following are prohibited on the tower
- All petrol/fuel-powered devices (including remote-controlled model cars or aircraft)
Springwood Water Tower is located at 387-403 Springwood Road in Springwood.