The Sycamore School is Queensland’s first full-time primary school for children with autism. Established by Queensland parents, The Sycamore School provides autism friendly learning, a spectrum of choice, and a place that celebrates children on the spectrum.
The Sycamore School provides an opportunity to enhance the futures of students with autism through academic, social, emotional, behavioural, and sensory supports.
Classes are small, with a 1:5 teacher/student ratio, enabling teachers to creatively provide strategies tailored to the individual needs of each child.
The Sycamore School Philosophy and Values
The Sycamore School respects the spectrum – each student is an individual and they respect their unique perspectives on our world. Children are valued and encouraged, creating confidence and self-determination. The school works to support the educational journey of each student, with a focus on inclusive learning opportunities and community focused futures.
Facilities at The Sycamore School
The Sycamore School provides a spectrum of choice when it comes to learning. Students are not forced to sit at desks for all learning sessions, and creative ways of using space and equipment in the classroom is encouraged. Technology supports are an important part of making learning engaging for students on the spectrum, and iPads, laptops, and interactive LCD screens are available to students to enhance learning.
All students at Sycamore have a diagnosis of autism, and the school provides a learning environment that is conducive to learning for these students. In addition to the educational supports, The Sycamore School also supplements the learning with allied health professionals, employed by the school.
The Sycamore School Extra Curricular Activities
The Sycamore School works to provide their students with meaningful ways to access the community. Programs such as visiting local libraries, interactions with other local schools, and everyday life skills such as grocery shopping are built into curriculum.
Enrolment at The Sycamore School
ENROLMENTS FOR 2017 ARE OPEN!
Catchment suburbs are listed in The Sycamore School’s Enrolment Manual, featured on the Enrolment page of their website. Enrolments are completed online, and the Principal will contact families should they be successful in obtaining an opportunity to be interviewed.
The Sycamore School at a glance
- Address: Block F, 29 Windemere Road, Alexandra Hills
- Email: Info@asdlearning.org.au
- Enrolment Capacity: 70 students in 2017
- Prep to Year 6
- Students must have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Small class sizes – 1:5 Teacher/Student ratio
- The annual tuition fee is $7,500 for all year levels and payment plans will be available. There are no additional levies however, families will be required to purchase uniforms for their children. The program is full-time only at this stage.
- Speech and Occupational Therapists on staff
- There is a catchment for the school and students in the catchment will be given first preference. There will be allocated spaces for students who live outside the catchment, which comprises: Alexandra Hills, Balmoral, Belmont-Gumdale, Birkdale, Brisbane Port – Lytton, Bulimba, Camp Hill, Cannon Hill, Capalaba, Carina, Carina Heights, Carindale, Cleveland, Coorparoo, Cornubia – Carbrook, East Brisbane, Greenslopes, Hawthorne, Kangaroo Point, Manly – Lota, Manly West, Morningside – Seven Hills, Murrarie, Norman Park, Ormiston, Redland Bay, Rochedale – Burbank, Rochedale South – Priestdale, Sheldon – Mt Cotton, South Brisbane, Thorneside, Thornlands, Tingalpa, Victoria Pt, Wakerley, Wellington Pt, Woolloongabba, Wynnum, Wynnum West – Hemmant.
Why Choose The Sycamore School
If you want your child with autism to have a positive and meaningful school experience, then The Sycamore School provides a unique opportunity in Brisbane. Attention is tailored to your child’s needs, and families are invited to truly connect to the school and the Sycamore family. Choose Sycamore if you want a school who celebrates your child with you.
The Sycamore School is located at Block F, 29 Windemere Road, Alexandra Hills. Find out more about the school at www.thesycamoreschool.qld.edu.au.